Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sweets in the City: One Smart Cookie

It's almost my fifth year living in New York City and I have seen quite a bit of sugar in this town. I can't say that I am a connoisseur, but I have learned a few things about sweets. One thing I learned for sure is to never buy cheesecake from a bodega (especially a 24 hour one). Ultimately, I realized there are quite a few places out there besides Magnolia Bakery where you can enjoy great goodies among friends.


I wasn't really sure where I should first go to write my first blog. A funky frogurt shop in the Lower East Side? A fancy French patisserie where I need to motion to communicate exactly what I am looking for? But fortunately, before I had to decide, I was invited by a new friend to One Girl Cookies in "oh-so-cute-I-could-pinch-it's-cheeks-if-it-had-them" Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.




I emerged from the subway and walked past the hip boutiques and diverse selection of restaurants. As I rounded the corner my eye spotted a large sign tempting me only with the word "Cookies" and I knew I was in the right place. The light-filled bakery area is painted with delicate pastel colors and light wood for a refreshing look. The bakery case was studded with tiny macaroon cookies with hush pink and powder blue colors matching the decor. There were also petite cupcakes with spiky frosting, peeking their points above the case like Bart Simpson's head. An intricately decorated apricot jam cake proudly stood on a cake stand showing off its handmade filling. This was a difficult choice.

Finally, I chose the chocolate whoopie pie. It was a reasonable size, about the size of a squished golf ball. That way, I didn't have to spoil dinner with my boo later. The soft cookies were moist like cake and must have had quite a bit of cocoa to make it so chocolaty. Snuggly squeezed between the cookies was a nice helping of cream cheese frosting to complete the delicious sweet combination.


My whoopie pie was polished off quickly, as was Carissa's spiky cupcake. Our third desserteir, Karla, bought macraroons to go. But we stayed long after the crumbs were gone, chatting over cups of hand-bagged tea. The seating area, basically a garage door with windows, served as a perfect spot for people watching. One Girl Cookie certainly exemplifies the mission of it's creator, Dawn, who believes that cookies should have "simplicity and charm". This smart cookie has created the ideal sweet spot for three girls to
enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. You know what's sad, Megan? There's a very good chance that my wife will end up reading your blog much more than she'd ever read mine. A movie blog vs. a desert blog? I don't stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete